This all-purpose steak seasoning is truly that — all-purpose! It’s savory with a hint of sweet and can be used on pretty much any cut of steak.
I’m not going to lie, McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning is one of my all-time favorites (#notsponsored) — and even for seasoning things other than steak. It just does its job every time. So, we decided we needed to make our own homemade steak seasoning that also “did its job every time” but with a slightly different flavor profile and fewer ingredients.
This is truly the best steak seasoning. It’s garlickly, savory, and slightly sweet all at the same time. We used kosher salt, instead of table salt because it clings to the meat better (learned this from America’s Test Kitchen!). We’ve tested this steak dry rub on pretty much all cuts of steak and my favorites so far are our cast iron steak and skirt steak.
What you need for this steak seasoning recipe
This steak seasoning is so incredibly tasty! It brings together the following simple spices for ultimate flavor perfection:
- Garlic powder
- Red pepper flakes
- Brown sugar
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Kosher salt
Get our Top 10 5-Star Recipes!
Join our email list for new recipes and BONUS: get our top 10 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ recipes e-book!
How much steak seasoning do you need for 1.5 lbs. of meat?
It all depends on how seasoned you want your steak, but we use anywhere from 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup of steak seasoning for a 1.5 lb. steak.
How to Season Steak
- First, pat the steak dry with a paper towel.
- Then sprinkle the steak seasoning on top of the steak and use your hands to massage it into the meat. Do this on all sides of the steak for optimal flavor.
- Let your steak rest for around 30 minutes with the seasoning on it before cooking. This will result in super flavorful and tender steak 😀
How to Cook Seasoned Steak
You can really use any cooking method you wish with seasoned steak! Check out some Fit Foodie tutorials on different ways to cook steak:
- Make it Spicier: If you prefer a spicier steak seasoning mix, add more red pepper flakes. If you like it hot-hot, add a bit of cayenne pepper to the mix.
- Enhance the Sweetness: add a pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon into this seasoning to really bring out the brown sugar.
Cast Iron Steak
You’ll love this steak seasoning on our cast iron steak. It’s juicy, flavorful, and perfectly seasoned!
Why make a large batch of this steak seasoning?
What’s great about this recipe is that it yields 1/3 cups of steak seasoning, which is enough for 2 thick steaks, but it’s super easy to double triple, or quadruple the seasoning as you’re making it to store for later.
Storage: Simply make a large batch using the ingredients below, and then store in an airtight container in your spice cupboard for up to 3 months.
Store extra steak seasoning in an airtight container in the your spice cupboard for up to 3 months.
Add all of the ingredients for the steak seasoning into a jar or small bowl and mix.
Season both sides of the steaks with 1 tablespoon of steak seasoning. Massage the seasoning into the steaks and be sure they are completely coated. Let the steaks sit at room temperature for 30 minutes – 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- This recipe yields approximately 1/3 cup of steak seasoning, which is enough seasoning for 1.5 lbs. of steak.
Calories: 22kcal Carbohydrates: 5g Protein: 1g Fat: 0.2g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Ashley McGlaughlin from The Edible Perspective.