By Tricia White
With more than 100,000 people expected to travel to the State Fair of Texas for the Allstate Red River Showdown between the Texas Longhorns and the Oklahoma Sooners on October 7, Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) makes getting to the game easy and safe.
Trains begin filling up more than three hours before kickoff, so DART riders are encouraged to arrive early for the game. To help accommodate the large crowds, DART is adding light rail service, buses and Trinity Railway Express (TRE) trains with special connections.
Please visit DART.org/RedRiverRivalry for more information.
The DART Green Line is your connection to the game
To get to the game, ride DART’s Green Line to Fair Park Station, located on Parry Avenue at the entrance to the fairgrounds, or MLK, Jr. Station, located south of R.B. Cullum Boulevard and convenient to the Gate 6 entrance and the Cotton Bowl Stadium.
- Southbound Red, Blue, and Orange Line passengers – transfer to the Green Line at Pearl/Arts District Station.
- Northbound Red and Blue Line passengers – transfer to the Green Line at Akard Station.
- Eastbound Orange Line passengers – transfer to the Green Line at Bachman Station.
- DART is providing four special Red Line trains that will travel southbound from Parker Road Station directly into Fair Park Station. These trains will be marked “SPECIAL EVENT” on their destination sign. After the game, there will also be four special northbound Red Line trains from Fair Park Station to Parker Road Station. These trains will be marked “PARKER ROAD” on their destination sign.
- Every day during the fair’s 24-day run, all Orange Line trains will offer extended service to Parker Road Station.
- Extra Green Line trains will run between Victory Station and Lawnview Station beginning approximately three hours prior to the game and continuing until approximately three hours after the game. During those hours, Green Line trains will run approximately every five to 10 minutes.
DART Bus Service
DART Bus routes 23 and 214 serve Fair Park Station and DART Bus routes 13, 23, 104, and 216 serve MLK, Jr. Station.
DART will also operate special express buses before the game to Fair Park Station from the following stations: Bachman Station, CityLine/Bush Station, EBJ Union Station, Pearl/Arts District Station, SMU/Mockingbird Station, Trinity Mills Station, and Victory Station
Riding the Trinity Railway Express (TRE) or DCTA from Denton
- Trinity Railway Express (TRE) will operate all four Sundays during the fair on a Saturday schedule.
- TRE passengers can transfer to the Green Line at Victory Station. Details are at TrinityRailwayExpress.org/StateFair
- Customers using the Denton County Transportation Authority should check DCTA.net for departure and arrival times to connect at Trinity Mills Station to DART’s Green Line.
DART offers great options that make buying your fare pass fast, safe, and convenient:
- Ticket Vending Machine: DART Ticket Vending Machines accept cash and credit cards and dispense AM/PM, Day, and Midday Passes.
- GoPass® app: Download the latest version of the app for free from the Apple App Store or Google Play. Just be sure to activate your DART pass before you board.
- GoPass® Tap card: Available at hundreds of participating retailers, GoPass Tap is the reloadable transit card that automatically gives you the best fare every time you ride. Simply tap your card to a reader on a DART rail platform or bus prior to boarding, and your fare is deducted automatically. (Note: GoPass Tap cards are valid for local fares only. GoPass Tap cards are not valid for travel on TEXRail, DCTA, or Trinity Metro.)
- Credit or debit card: Buy your DART pass with any contactless credit or debit card. Just tap your contactless card to a reader on a DART rail platform or bus prior to boarding – and you’re on your way to all the fun of the fair.
- Mobile device: Using your preferred mobile payment app – such as Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay – simply tap your mobile device to a reader on a DART rail platform or bus to buy your pass.
Purchase a Local Day Pass for $6, good for DART Rail, local buses, and riding the TRE between DFW Airport/CentrePort Station and EBJ/Union Station. Tarrant and Denton County customers need a Regional Day Pass for $12. Details are available at DART.org/StateFair or by calling DART Customer Service at 214-979-1111.
DART makes it easier to keep up with transit information with My DART Updates. Register to receive important updates that make for a better riding experience. Subscribe at DART.org/email.